Monday, June 1, 2009

The erosion of our language

This post is more of a rant about the erosion of our language as detailed below in a few of the most common (and one very uncommon) widely spread things that irk me. Enjoy (or don't).

  1. "A whole nother": There is no such thing as a "nother". They mean of course "Another" or "A completely different". This is so widely used, that it's in movies, the radio and even well educated newscasters. I only recognized this travesty when I used it myself one day and thought, "Wait, that doesn't sound right" and haven't stopped hearing it since.
  2. "Till" instead of "'til": A till is a cash register, or the action that prepares soil for planting. 'Til is the shortening of the word "Until". Most times when an author means 'til, they type till and somehow it doesn't get caught by the editors. I guess they're all just on the lookout for incorrect "There, They're, Their" usages instead. I'm surpirsed at how many get it wrong.
  3. "Myself": Many people misuse "myself" because they were terrified by their English teachers to use the word "me" at the end of a sentance. The problem is that they're using it the wrong way. Only I can do something to myself. Only you can do something to yourself. They use it as in "If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact myself." So many people say it that it doesn't even sound as wrong as it rightfully should. When you are acting on something, you use "I". (Rachel and I are going to the movies). When you are being acted upon, you use "me". (That burger was too spicy for me). When you are acting upon yourself, you use "myself". (I want to kick myself).
  4. As a whole, music will be the downfall of our language. Most to blame is Rap, of course closely followed by R&B & Country. For instance: R&B - Usher's Burn uses the unique phrasing: "We done been fell apart". Ugh. Another: Country - Tim McGraw's I Like It employs the following: "I throwed out my shoulder but I won her that teddy bear." Not quite as bad, but it's certainly incredibly lazy for a probably very well spoken guy.

That's it. That's all. I've done a lot of griping lately, but I think I'm done. I've been saving this one up.

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Have you noticed, yet, how Eastern Washington folks like to say "It don't matter" and things such as that? It drives me crazy!!

Oh, speaking of those editors..."I'm surpirsed at how many get it wrong."

Hehehee...
Just teasing you :-)