You can make lovely scrambled eggs in the microwave in less time than it takes to make toast. Did you know that? I didn't used to.
- Easy to cook and clean up
- The eggs are soft and yummy but also a perfect shape and size for breakfast sandwiches
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water or milk
- Optional flavorings
- Cheese (small handful)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Salt (if you must - to taste)
- Please, please do not over salt your eggs. If you're topping them with cheese and/or lunch meat there will already be salt. If you're eating it on a breakfast sandwich with butter - there's even more salt. You don't want to start attracting wild animals as a salt lick do you? Good, I'm glad we had this discussion.
- Microwave safe cereal bowl
- Microwave (as per usual, microwave times vary - please do not eat your eggs if they don't look done - I don't want to find out any of you have developed salmonella)
- Rupture egg surface
- Divulge egg contents into awaiting vessel
- Making use of the pronged instrument, denature the egg proteins (thanks Alton)
- Incorporate liquid - mix until smooth texture is reached
- Place vessel with prepared egg mixture into the awaiting microwave
* Important - remove the fork prior to latching the escape hatch
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds
- Remove from microwave
- Using pronged instrument, gently stir the egg mixture - break up any areas beginning to firm, especially around the edges (this keeps it from turning into a hockey puck)
- Return the vessel to the microwave (remove fork, close hatch)
- Microwave on high for an additional 30 seconds
- Remove the vessel carefully (it will be hot)
- Assess the egg mixture - if soft but set, the eggs are done. If the eggs are runny, return the vessel to the microwave for additional quarter minute increments.
- Introduce flavorings now if desired - if adding cheese, return to microwave for an additional 15 seconds
- Using the spoon, gently evacuate the egg mixture to the intended target (in my case, a toasted and buttered English muffin)
Please note - I think I'm funny when I'm sleep deprived.