Sunday, January 15, 2012

Today - January 14, 2012

Today, I tricked Alyson and MayLee into requesting and enjoying food storage.

I remember trying powdered milk at a friend's house when I was growing up.  It wasn't great, but then maybe it  Lately, I've gotten really into the idea of setting up my food storage and actually using it.  I've looked into it a lot and have drunk the punch.  Or in this case - the powdered milk.  There are lots of great websites out there to make the experience possible and positive.  They gave me hope that powdered milk has improved and some tips on making it palatable.

My game plan:

Make it new and exciting - the desirable milk instead of the weird food storage milk.

  1. Today, I made a little - just enough for one person - in my pink shaker bottle.  I added a small pinch of sugar and a little dash of vanilla (like vanilla soy) and sat down with it in front of my dinner.  Immediately the girls asked to have some.  I told them, "I'm sorry, this is special milk for mommy."  I waited for just a beat to get their interest peaked and then asked them if they'd like some anyway.  Using their pretty cups (instead of their run of the mill red plastic cups), I gave them a little each and let them try it.  Success!  They liked it, so I made more and shared it with them.  
  2. Next, if we ever want to get to the point that we're just drinking it from the pitcher, it'll have to be pretty. So I'll be checking thrift stores for a nice glass pitcher that will fit in the fridge.  Bonus points if it has a lid.  I'd love for it to be a small tube or rectangle.  Man - Mom (grandma) and I came across a perfect one at Nell Hills years ago, but I didn't buy one.  Now I don't know if they have them anymore.  I'll keep my eyes peeled for a look-alike.
  3. After that, the container is going to need a makeover.  Maybe this is just where I get into wanting stuff to be pretty because that's what I do.  But if I'm trying to pass this off as fancy / fairy milk, it's going to have to be in costume.  Because the #10 can wardrobe just isn't doing much for it.  I'm thinking a cute sleeve out of fabric or scrapbooking paper ought to do it.
  4. Finally, I want to make this the fun milk - the milk you get on special occassions - until it's the milk I can pass off as every day milk - for cereal and drinking.  For now, I'll keep it for fun days or for when I let them have chocolate milk.  
An example of a can cozy - this one is petite for a little bitty soda can.  Mine would really have to mean it for a #10 can.

The hope is that I'll eventually be able to keep from using the sugar and vanilla or eliminate one.  I've learned a lot about what else you can do to use your food storage every day and if I try them and find them to work well, I'll force it upon you in blog form.

You're welcome in advance. :)

No comments: